What Does a Troubadour Writing Residency Look Like?
How many workshop sessions can I book?
- Multiple classroom visits of anywhere between 3 and 10 are the most effective in modeling writing techniques for students and teachers.
What is the role of the classroom teacher during the workshops?
- Teaching artists work in partnership with the classroom teacher, and are accessible between classroom visits for support and consultation.
What material does the teaching artist use?
- The workshop series utilizes on-going classroom curriculum or themes for sources of writing material. Teaching Artists also provide resource materials and model techniques for teachers that support their students in developing literacy skills.
How long are the classroom workshops?
- Workshops are 45 minutes in length and are recommended once a week to allow teachers and students to more easily incorporate them into their schedules.
Is there ongoing support for the teaching staff?
- For building lasting capacity, a one hour Professional Development workshop for teachers is recommended in conjunction with the residency.
Can I select grade levels?
- Yes, teaching artists effectively work with any pre K-8 grade level, tailoring the material to meet the needs of the individual teachers and students.
What are the best writing genres for different grade levels?
- Here are recommended writing genres for grade levels, but teaching artists can always adapt to meet your specific needs:
- preschool, Kindergarten, 1st Grade: songwriting
- 2 – 4 : songwriting or poetry
- 5 – 8 : prose